How To Clean Drink Bottles, Lunch Boxes and Bags
The school holidays are a perfect time to give all the school stuff a really thorough wash. We have some tips and hacks for how to clean drink bottles, lunch boxes and bags.
How to Clean Drink Bottles
You should wash your drink bottles daily with hot water and a natural, safe dishwashing liquid to avoid biofilms and mould growing in the bottom. Use a bottle brush and mini bottle brushes to really get all of the inside and parts clean.
Once every three months (or school holiday time is a good reminder) give your drink bottles a really thorough clean.
Give your drink bottles a deep clean
- Get yourself some Hydrogen Peroxide (3% solution) from the chemist or supermarket or if you have some Sodium Percarbonate (oxygen bleach) in the laundry, that will work too.
- Add 30ml of Hydrogen Peroxide or a teaspoon of the Sodium Percarbonate in your drink bottle.
- Fill half way up with boiling water, put the lid on loosely and let sit for an hour.
- Open carefully (be mindful of the steam) and pop half a tablespoon of raw rice in the bottom (use more if your drink bottle is really big).
- Shake, shake, shake it! The rice acts as a scrubber and will help lift any gross stuff.
- Rinse well with hot water, air dry and you are done!
"Purchased for my grandkids for school. It keeps their water cold all day. The beauty of it is that you can purchase the replacement straws straight away without ordering on line. The colours are beautiful!!" ~ Trish C, verified review
How to Clean Lunch Boxes
Just like drink bottles, wash these after each use with hot water and a natural, safe dishwashing liquid or in the dishwasher. Check the washing instructions to make sure they are dishwasher safe.
We also recommend giving them a deep clean every school holidays as they can get a little smelly. Here are two ways you can do this:
- Wet a piece of paper towel with vinegar and place in the lunch box
- Sprinkle bicarb soda in the lunch box
Leave overnight with the lid on and then wash and dry well.
Store with the lid open when not in use to allow airflow and avoid odours and mould building up. You can also encourage the kids to remove all wrappers and leftovers so they aren't sitting in the lunch box for too long.
How to Clean Lunch Bags
Insulated lunch bags are so great at keeping food at a safe temperature, especially here in Mackay where it gets really hot! But, they can get a little whiffy if food gets left in them (ewwww!)
We suggest regularly wiping them out with a damp cloth (with diluted vinegar or dish soap) after every use and then standing upright and open until thoroughly dry. Then you may need to deep clean weekly or as often as needed.
Our MontiiCo insulated lunch bags are machine washable which is so handy, especially when they are spills and smells.
- Pretreat them with soap and stain removers if needed
- Do not bleach, soak, tumble dry or iron
- Place into the washing machine on its own on a cold, gentle cycle with a natural, safe laundry detergent
- Dry standing up and open or preferably on the clothesline in the sun
- Make sure they are thoroughly dry before use or storage
If your lunch bag can't be machine washed, we suggest deep cleaning by hand washing in the sink with warm water and a natural, safe dishwashing liquid. Use a toothbrush to get into the corners and seams to get all the crumbs out. Rinse and hang out to thoroughly dry.
Washed your lunch bag but it still has smelly odours? Sprinkle with bicarbonate of soda and leave overnight. Tip out and wipe with a damp cloth the next day.
"We are so happy with this lunch bag purchase. My son loves it and can’t wait to use it on Monday for school. Quality is so amazing and love the freezer pack. It’s large enough to fit lunch box and small container for snacks." ~ Sarah W, verified review
How to Clean School Backpacks
First of all, be guided by the washing recommendations for your particular school back pack as it will depend on the material it's made from.
We suggest regularly wiping them out with a damp cloth and then hanging up until thoroughly dry. Deep clean as often as needed or again at school holiday time.
Our MontiiCo School Back Pack can be washed in the washing machine. We would recommend popping it in a pillowcase and washing on a gentle cycle. Just remember to check every section and pocket before washing!
Backpacks will also benefit from some time hanging inside out in the sun for an air out and freshen up.
"Lovely bag, thank you!" Megan R, verified review.
BONUS TIP: Set an alarm on your calendar to check the kids get their lunch boxes out of their bags at the start of every school holidays!
Well, that's our best tips and hack for how to clean drink bottles, lunch boxes and bags! We hope it's useful for you. Let us know how you go.