Your Hospital Bag Checklist for Birth
Towards the end of your pregnancy, it's a good idea to start getting things together for the birth.
Your hospital bag checklist for birth will be different for everyone but we are giving you a list of things to consider so you can use it as a starting point.
It might also be a good idea to see what the hospital provides. If it's just the basics, you might appreciate the comfort and familiarity of your own things.
Many women are giving birth at home these days, so instead of a hospital bag, you might like to find a nice basket to put things in ready for the big day.
Have your bag packed and ready to go up to a month before your estimated due date to avoid last minute panic and stress. It's one less thing you have to worry about and you can focus on relaxing!
The Hospital Bag for Birth
You will probably need a couple of bags for your hospital stay. You might like to have one for the birthing room, one for mum and one for baby.
Our OiOi Nappy Bags are perfect for one of your hospital bags and they look so stylish as well. Check out the video below which shows you what you can fit inside the Oi Oi Nappy Backpack.
You might also like to have some smaller packing pouches to separate different things you will need.
Hospital Bag Checklist: for the birth
- paperwork like health insurance, medicare card and birth plans
- music and some playlists set up (check out this Birthing Playlist for inspiration)
- phone, camera and chargers
- old comfy t-shirt or birthing gown and/or swimwear
- dressing gown or cardigan to keep warm (hospitals can be cold!)
- slippers or thongs, socks
- non-perishable snacks (the Made to Milk cookies and crackers are great!)
- coconut water (it's very hydrating and has natural electrolytes)
- water bottle (if you prefer your own filtered water)
- herbal teas (raspberry leaf tea is a great one for labour)
- lip balm
- hair ties or headband
- essential oil diffuser (make sure your oils are safe for labour and baby)
- aromatherapy roller blend for labour
- massage oils
- birthing comb (for pain relief)
- cash for vending machine emergencies!
Hospital Bag Checklist: for mum
- toiletries (Mama and Bird balms are fabulous)
- maternity pads or disposable postpartum undies
- a couple of nighties (or comfy clothes) and underwear
- breastfeeding scarf
- going home clothes and shoes
- nursing bra
- nursing cups
- breast pads
- postpartum support wear
- eye mask and ear plugs (for sleep)
- perineum ice packs or padsicles
- soft toilet paper or postpartum recovery wipes
- hair dryer (for drying the undercarriage if you are really sore!)
- peri bottle (trust us, this will be appreciated!)
- your own pillow and towel (you may feel more comfortable with your own)
- nursing pillow
- wet bag for your dirty laundry
Hospital Bag Checklist: for baby
- going home outfit (it's nice to have something cute for the photos!)
- singlets and baby hat
- a few newborn size onesies
- baby blanket and wrap
- nappies and baby wipes
- dummy (just in case!)
- car seat (make sure it's properly fitted)
- pram or baby carrier
- milestone discs or cards for the first photos
We hope this gives you a starting point in for your hospital checklist for birth.
What else would you recommend new mums pack in their hospital bag? Let us know!
Would you like to win a $250 voucher to spend on anything you like in our store? Join our VIP community below for our regular newsletters to be in with a chance!